As the world celebrates International Day of Happiness today, we bring to you five easy-to-cook recipes that make for a perfectly healthy snack for your children. The recipes, according to Kaushani Desai, an Art of Living Ayurvedic cooking expert and author of the very popular Sattva Cook Book, are prepared keeping in mind the Ayurvedic instructions for a healthy mind and body. So head to the kitchen and surprise your child with one or all of these tasty and nutritious snacks.
1. Tasty Potatoes
Sweet potatoes diced in cubes-1 cup
Yam diced in cubes- half cup
Water chestnut (optional)- half cup
Coriander powder- 1 tsp
Cow Ghee- 1 tsp
Lemon juice- 1 tbsp
Black pepper freshly ground- half tsp
Black salt- half tsp
Rock salt to taste
1. In a small bowl mix coriander powder, black pepper powder, rock salt and black salt.
2. Sprinkle this mixture on sweet potatoes, yam and water chestnut.
3. Steam for 8-10 minutes in a steamer.
4. Mix lemon juice and ghee just before serving. Serve hot.
2. Triangle Puff
Roasted cumin powder- half tsp
Wheat flour- 1 cup
Coriander powder- one fourth tsp
Castor oil- 1 half tsp
Red chilli powder- one fourth tsp
Oil (any cooking oil)- 1 tsp
Cumin seeds- one fourth tsp
Cow milk- 3 tbsp
Black pepper freshly ground-1 tsp
Potatoes- 1-2 medium
Asafoetida- a pinch
Dry mango powder- one fourth tsp
Rock salt to taste
1. Mix wheat flour, milk and castor oil (water if required) and knead a soft dough. Cover it with wet muslin cloth and let it stand for 20 minutes.
2. Steam potatoes. Peel carefully and mash them.
3. Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot add cumin seeds. When it starts spluttering, add roasted cumin powder, red chilli powder, black pepper powder, dry coriander powder, dry mango powder and asafoetida. Cook for 15 seconds.
4. Add potatoes and rock salt and mix it properly and cook for 1 minute.
5. Remove the pan from flame. The stuffing for the samosas is ready.
6. Roll chapatti and stuff it with the mashed potato mixture. Fold it into triangular samosa like shape.
7. Bake these samosas at 160oC, till they are light brown in colour.
3. Pasta with Tangy Tomato Sauce
(Also Read: 10 Easy Italian Pasta Recipes )
Wheat flour/Rye four/Barley flour- 1 cup
Water- one fourth cup
Rock salt a pinch
1. In a deep broad bowl add salt to the flour and then add water and knead a soft dough.
2. Roll it in to square or round chapatti and cut into thin strips with a sharp knife.
3. Put these pieces in boiling water carefully and boil them for 8 – 10 minutes.
4. Remove from flame and let it stay for 5 -10 minutes.
5. Carefully drain out the hot water and add cold water to the pasta. Strain the pasta again. Pasta is ready to be put into the sauce.
Tangy Tomato Sauce Ingredients
Tomatoes- 5-6 medium sized
Fresh ginger chopped- 50 gms
Fresh/Dry basil leaves 10-15 leaves/1 tbsp
Cinnamon powder- one fourth tsp
Black pepper freshly ground- one fourth tsp
Rock salt to taste
1. Steam tomatoes and fresh ginger for 5 – 7 minutes.
2. Grind to a smooth puree and strain it.
3. Add basil, cinnamon powder, rock salt and black pepper and let it simmer on medium flame for
Pasta with Tangy Tomato Sauce Ingredients
Carrot chopped- 50 gms
Capsicum chopped- 25 gms
Zucchini chopped- 50 gms
Pumpkin chopped- 25 gms
Avocado chopped- 50 gms
Basil leaves-1 tbsp
1. Steam the chopped carrots, capsicum, zucchini, pumpkin and avocado for a few minutes.
2. Mix the steamed vegetables with the tangy tomato sauce. Leave to stand for ten minutes.
3. Toss pasta with the tangy tomato sauce and steamed vegetable mixture.
4. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve immediately.
4. Banana Mousse
Soya milk- half cup
Rock sugar powder-1 tbsp
Cardamom powder- 1 tsp
Cloves powdered- a pinch
Cinnamon powder- a pinch
Note: Cardamom, cloves and cinnamon help digest bananas.
5. Walnut Halwa
Akhrot ka Halwa
Rock sugar powder- half cup
Cucumber seeds- 1 tbsp
Cardamom powder- half tsp
Saffron- a pinch
Dates finely chopped-1 tsp
Milk- one fourth cup
1. Soak walnuts in hot water for 15 minutes or in normal water for 2-3 hours.
2. Drain the water, remove walnuts and wipe it with a cloth. Coarsely grind these walnuts with cucumber seeds.
3. In a pan roast the ground walnuts for 5 minutes (without ghee), add milk, rock sugar powder, cardamom powder and saffron and cook for 10 minutes on medium flame. Keep stirring continuously.
4. Remove from flame and add dates.
5. Garnish it with pumpkin seeds and dates and serve hot.
Note: To store the halwa for a few days – add rock sugar after the halwa is prepared.
About The Organization:
The Art of Living’s International team of experts has introduced the knowledge and real essence of Yoga and Ayurveda to millions all over the globe, not just as a set of physical exercises and diet regime but as a deeper science that discusses them as a union of the mind, body, and soul.